It's not an English word in fact the closest to translating to English is probably 'cosy'. Why we can't just say cosy I will never know but, thanks to the Danes, everyone and their Aunt is embracing this new trend without even knowing how to say it correctly!
So 'Hoo-ga'...just written as it is said to make things a little easier is a lifestyle that is embraced in Denmark and is basically embracing all things that make you feel warm and fuzzy. Things that give you a little bit of happiness in your heart. I am pretty sure we have all been doing this every Autumn/Winter for years without it having a name but the cool kids are loving it so it is now a 'thing'.
I may think the use of the name is totally silly but I do love myself a bit of coziness and the actual concept is something I embrace without knowing I am doing it. With that said here is a list of my favourite 'Hoo-ga' friendly things to do.
- Throwing on a pair of thick chunky socks and an oversized knit, shoving my hair up in a bun and curling up on the sofa with a blanket and a hot chocolate.
- Lighting candles and switching the main light for lamps and fairy lights.
- Nursing a big bowl of homemade stew and dumplings while watching lighthearted movies.
- Snuggling up in bed with a book/magazine and a cup of tea.
- Hot mulled drinks and a wander round the garden centre.
- Scented candles and warm bubble baths.
- Getting in from the cold on a winters night and putting my PJ's on, snuggling up and watching cooking programmes.
My home often feels more 'Eww-ga' than 'Hoo-ga' with two kids to run around after. Mess certainly doesn't feel like something that fits into this new way of life but I do love it when the littlies are in bed and I pop all the toys away, grab a cuppa and a blanket and breathe a sigh of relief...that is when I feel at peace and at my most.... 'Hoo-ga-ie'
You can take a cosy meander into the world of Hygge with someone who knows what they are talking about over at Hello Hygge Blog just don't get too comfortable as I want you back here soon!