Mum's recipe was so simple I am not even sure it classes as a recipe and I don't think it ever consisted of measurements so I am going to give it a go and hope you can keep up!
6-7 Maris Piper Potatoes (other mashing potatoes work too)
Cheese - The stronger the better!
and my addition 3 Spring Onions
- Peel, chop and boil your spuds. The boiling time will depend on how many you do and how small they are chopped, for medium potatoes I recommend cutting in quarters. They will be cooked when you can prod them with a knife and they slip off the end.
- Strain the potatoes and leave them to one side to steam, this will dry them out as too much water makes for soggy spuds!
- While they dry get grating the cheese. I would say a good handful is plenty with a little extra for the top. Again no measurements here just go with your taste buds. If your cheesy like me then add more...if a cheesefest isn't what you are after then add less!
- Slice your spring onions finely, I add a little of the green bits too for colour and they taste a bit milder than the white parts.
- Pop the potatoes back into the saucepan and give them a good mash STRONG ARMS REQUIRED. Add in a small tablespoon of butter (we use marge so a little healthier...who am I kidding this isn't a diet recipe!) and a glug of milk...approx 50ml (*cough* I never measure!)
- Give it a mixeroo and add some seasoning, I leave the salt out in mine so Ted can eat it but feel free to use it if you like. Black pepper is fab in this...the more the merrier!
- Add the cheese (leaving some for the top) and spring onions and stir to combine.
- Dollop into a dish...we used our Guinness pie dish because it was the only one that we own *blushes*
- This next bit is mandatory....Lick the Spoon!!! (this was done with my Mum and will be done forever)
|Nemo decided he needed dinner before it was cooked!|
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and pop into a 180 degrees oven until the cheese has melted and gone a yummy golden brown!
- Let it cool down a little before eating...Molten Cheese!
We have ours with sausages and veggies because we like to pretend we are healthy but you can just have a huge bowl of it with a spoon as you sob into the bowl about whatever you needed comforting about in the first place!
This post is an entry for #FluffyMarisPiper Linky Challenge sponsored by Potato Council. Learn more at