To give you a brief update, we currently rent a 2 bedroom semi in a lovely village in Northamptonshire. This is our 3rd home in 5 years and was meant to be our family home for as long as possible. When we moved in in July 2012 I was 6 months pregnant with Ted. We had moved due to our Landlord 'bodging' jobs around the house, leaving us with a slapdash kitchen he replaced himself and I couldn't see myself being able to take care of a baby there let alone live there with a toddler.
We came to view this house while previous tenants had their furniture in. It needed a bit of love but we were told the landlord would consider replacing the carpets and the walls would be repainted before we moved in.
2 years on we have marked walls, stained skirting boards and carpets all of which really just need redoing but the landlord has informed if any of this is done by him then he will put the rent up! He lives in Australia and has really just left the estate agents in charge. They try their best but he won't reply to emails and is unwilling to put any money into the house that isn't 'needed'.
- The garden is really hard to maintain, we are far from green fingered but with overgrown tree's across the back and an infestation of ants every few meters it's such a gruelling task to get on top of it all
- The taps all have really deep limescale on which really would be better to replace
- The windows are the original wooden double glazing and the paint on them is cracked to the point that when I wash them the paint falls off!
- The oven and hob are the original ones from when the house was built some 30 years ago and are on their way out.
- The seals of the windows are all rubbish so we lose any heat the radiators give out, costing us a fortune in gas.
- The extractor fan in the bathroom hasn't worked since we moved in so there is constant damp.
I must add this picture is after the gardeners were sent to tidy up the tree's under order of the council as they were hanging out over the road!
Ok. I am sure you get my point!
We have outgrown the house now with hardly any room for all of our belongings and I think my hatred for the house means I really don't want to put my stamp on it. I have wall stickers, paint and ornaments in boxes that I am saving for our new home in the hope that they won't go unloved for much longer!
|Not much room to grow!|
With Joe's new job we are hoping to save some money to find a new home. I have found a couple of houses that I love but our problem is that as with most young families we just don't have the money to save for a deposit to buy a house! £10,000 is the minimum we need and we also want to get married soon so I think we are destined to rent for a few more years yet.
I just want a 2 bed with a separate dining room/conservatory. Nice sized bedrooms and clean walls and carpets! I am literally embarrassed letting people into our home as no matter how tidy we make it, it always looks horrible. Again I think I struggle to find motivation to keep the house tidy for that reason and it always looks a mess!
I hope we can find a new home soon because I am so unhappy with this one. I want somewhere I can put my own stamp on and really be proud of. I also want my own little writing corner with a desk and storage so that I don't have to share with Joe anymore!
Do you rent? Have you got similar problems with Landlords??